Pages

Fifty-Six: The Year of...

January 2, 2011

Today marks the first day of 2011.  2011.  Twenty-Eleven.  Two Thousand Eleven.  


In 2011 I decided I would make no resolutions.  I would vow to exercise daily or eat healthy.  I wasn't going to promise myself that I would keep a daily journal or take more photographs.  I want do these things anyway and I don't want to do them merely to because it's the first of the year and I needed a new resolution.  


But my heart's cry is to live 2011 to the fullest.  To live authentically.  To live a life of love.  To live experiencing my Beloved.  To live in His belonging.  To live as an act of giving - giving to God, giving to others.  


"A Holy Experience" is a blog I enjoy reading.  The woman who writes offers so much wisdom about Christ-living, she writes of gratitude of the all the blessings we have been bestowed by a our Creator, and worship Him with all that we are.  Her post the other day greatly intrigued me.  She wrote how just as she names her children, she has begun to name years.  Her reasoning, "because each one births a different life that needs to be raised up and remembered."


This phrase has stuck with me.  The idea that each year births something different didn't seem like a foreign concept to me.  Each year does bring about something different than the previous.  Each year brings about changes.  Each year causes growth.  No two years are ever the same.  But the idea that each year produces life that needs to be raised up and remembered, now that rang within as something new and unfamiliar - but intriguing.  The life I live in 2011 will be different than 2010.  But how would I raise it up and remember?  Or more importantly how would God raise it up and have me remember it? 


For the past few days I have prayed and sought the Lord about what to name this year.  What is His desire for me this year?  What will a name remind me of His purpose and desire for me this year?


I toyed with several names for 2011.  


The Year of Experiencing - the year of experiencing God through all areas, all senses.  In all things experiencing life with Him.


No...though I want to experience Him in all areas of my life and know He desires me to experience Him in all areas, I knew this wasn't the name of 2011.


The Year of Belonging...the year of focusing on truly belonging to my Beloved.  The year of giving back and giving away all that truly belongs to Him...everything.


But again no...my heart cries to fully focus on how I am my Beloved's and my Beloved is mine and I want to let of all the things in this world which tie me down and give back to Him...but 2011 was not to be called The Year of Belonging.


The Year of Authenticity...the year of being genuine.  The year I allow God to tear down the walls and remove all my masks.  Being subject to cliche I move from just talking the talk to walking the walk.


And I almost named my 2011 The Year of Authenticity...but then again God said no.  That was not what I was to call this year.


Sometimes just like the naming of a baby you have to wait for it to arrive before you can fully decide upon its name...2011 could not be christened until it arrived.  

2011's name came in a way unexpected.

My last week of 2010 comprised of a lot of time of sorting things and deciding what to keep and what to get rid of.  As a slave to materialism, this is a struggle for me.  Today as we packed things in bags and boxes to take a local thrift store, I wanted to keep certain books and various pieces of clothing.  I kept thinking, "What if I need this?  What if I want to wear this? What if...?  What if...?"  And in the gentle whisper He spoke...

"What is...you have lived in 'what if' for so long, My beloved.  Live in 'what is,' My child."


The Year of What Is...letting go of all the what if and seeking to live in what is...experiencing the love my Beloved in what is.


I imagine there will be more to come about The Year of What Is...but for now I'm thankful for 2011 and The Year of What Is...I'm thankful for what The Year of What Is will bring :)

This is what is...

Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

 Who, being in very nature God, 

   did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; 
rather, he made himself nothing 
   by taking the very nature of a servant, 
   being made in human likeness. 
And being found in appearance as a man, 
   he humbled himself 
   by becoming obedient to death— 
      even death on a cross!


 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place 

   and gave him the name that is above every name, 
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, 
   in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 
and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, 
   to the glory of God the Father.

Philippians 2:1-11



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS