Pages

Sixty-Nine

January 15, 2011

I live in the third "oldest" county in the United States.  No Highlands County was not founded over three hundred over years ago - more 90 years ago.  But due the ages of the citizens residing within our county limits, Highlands has achieved the honor of being the third oldest since we have a high population of people over 65 living here.

And unfortunately I know I don't often see this as a blessing.  I get annoyed when they drive 30 miles down Catfish Creek Road - the speed limit is 45 but I'm pretty convinced as late that someone changed it and didn't bother to tell me.  I don't enjoy going to Publix during the middle of the day because I don't always find myself amused when I have to wait behind them in line.

 But there is so much to learn from older people.  They offer so much wisdom and encouragement.  God calls us to teach those younger than us, but in that we should be learning from those older than us!

I was in the church office yesterday morning and Pastor Drew came out of his office with an older woman and was telling her about a song that played on the Joy FM (one of the Christian radio stations in LP) that reminded him of marriage.  He turned to me asking if I knew the song and gave me some of the lyrics he remembered.  As it turned out I had the song on my iTunes ("God Gave Me You" by Dave Barnes - see having a ridiculous music collection can come in handy haha) so the three of us sat there and listened to it for a bit.  Afterwards, this woman and I began talking.  I told her about Spain and she sweetly said, "I've been praying for you, so it's nice to finally have a face when I pray!"

So be thankful for the older people in your life and all around you.  I hope this reminder helps me to be more thankful next time I crawl down Catfish Creek...the reminder to slow down a bit and take in the life God has given me.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post. Elderly people have so much to offer to the Church, to this world and to us personally. They have a very precious blessing called experience and are always so happy to see you, even if you don't really know them. I find that some of the elderly people in my Church are the biggest examples of Christ.

    Elderly people are also great because they share mostly my dislike for the direction society has gone in these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big fan of elderly people... they make me uncomfortable. But sometimes they've got cool pieces of wisdom, stories, and are mighty prayer warriors.

    I also have a ridiculous music collection but alas my elderly iPod died this week...

    <>< Katie

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS