Pages

62/63/64 - A Three for One Kind of Day

January 9, 2011

Away for the weekend and well no internet access equates no thankful posts...but as I learn each day there is always to give thanks for...always...

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.
Philippians 4:4

Sixty-Two
I had the opportunity to attend the High School Winter Retreat in Lake Wales, FL this weekend with the amazing youth group I have grown to love quite a bit in the past few months.  I'm thankful and blessed have this weekend with them.  To share in their laughs.  To see how God is at work in their life.  To worship with them.  As I prepare to leave in a few short weeks it was so encouraging to have this time with them.  I'm excited to see how God uses them and rises them up in the coming weeks, months, and years.  I believe God has some great plans in store for these amazing youth.  They remind that we should never ever look down on them because of their age, these youth are such an example to me of how to live for Christ (1 Timothy 4:12).

Sixty-Three
On Saturday I was particularly thankful for two of our high school girls.  They told me on Friday was we drove our newly returned church bus to the retreat that at some point during the weekend they wanted to get all the girls in our group together and have a chance to bound together.  They didn't like the cliques they were seeing and they wanted to a chance to break down some of those walls and really become united as sisters in Christ.  These two without any leading or help from any of the leaders brought the girls together yesterday.  And though it wasn't quite they had hoped for, they persevered through it even when it was especially challenging.  They didn't show their discouragement as some of their own friends acted uninterested. They spoke from the heart and when their original plan didn't work they moved forth to share something else.  It's hard in the mist of your peers - especially if they seem uninterested - to stand firm and share what God has laid on your heart and these two did just that.  I was amazed at the leadership they exhibited.  I believe God has great things in store for these two - and the rest of the youth group - and I pray that their desire to see the girls united would be something they see fulfilled.  


Sixty-Four
And coming off of an amazing weekend - also frequently referred to as mountaintop experiences - it amazes me how quickly we can drop into the valley.  Today was a hard day.  Details I will spare you but their changes occurring that many of us are struggling with.  Things may be happening sooner than we like, things are happening that we don't like and don't understand.  Though change brings growth and growth is a necessity for life with Him...change is hard.  Especially when there is so much uncertainty in the mist of the change.  The reality of how change is hit me as I stood in the church parking with several after arriving in LP after the retreat and one of the youth started to cry over what's happening.  And several of us joined in and as I drove home more and more tears flowed and then when I got home even more came.  The confusion this change is bringing was harder than I could bear.  

After a much needed nap the tears finally settled, but the worry and confusion loomed overhead.  I turned on my iTunes and hit the shuffle button.  Now I have a lot of music on my iTunes so it isn't a rare occurrence for me to hear an unfamiliar song when I opt for the shuffle mode - either because I forgot I had it or it's the sign I have reached the point of too much music.  And I listened to song after song that I knew and loved, when one started playing that I didn't recognize.  I went to flip longing for the familiar when I noticed it was actually by one of my favorite bands, so I decided to listen...and I found myself beyond thankful for the words spoken...

"Slow Down" by Chasen
You see all of the pieces 
But I see a life I can mold
You see a bunch of blank pages
But I see potential untold

Before you give up
Before your heart breaks
Open your eyes to this picture of grace, and just

Slow down take a breath in this moment
Leave all the worries you're carrying
Be still in the midst of this madness
Let go of all that you fear 'cause
I've already set your heart free
So leave all the changing to me

You see the doubt and the questions
But I see the wrestling with faith
You see someone worth nothing
But I see someone I can save

Before you give up
Before your heart breaks
Open your eyes to this picture of grace, and just

Life is a long road
So hard to follow
You feel like you'll never win
Just trust in my love
And let me take care of the rest
So you can begin


I bolded the chorus because that spoke to my heart.  Like God serenading me with what I needed to hear.  That I have to leave all of the changing to Him.  I can't worry about what happens.  I can't feel guilty about what happens.  I have to trust Him.  Give this to Him.  He is in control.  And all of this will be for His glory...His good...my good.  Change is hard but change causes growth and growth is essential. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS