Pages

Sixty - Wonder

January 6, 2011

Wonder. The wonder as her eyes light up when she encounters something new.  The wonder in finding joy and pleasure in the simplest things in life.  The wonder and excitement that light up her face upon seeing her mom or dad.  


As repeatedly stated I firmly believe I learn some my deepest and most important lessons from children.  And in the last few months though this little girl who's vocabulary though small is rapidly expanding has taught me quite bit.  And today I as watched her splash in the fountain (or cup as she calls it - anything with water in it is a cup to her) and try so hard to reach her little hand to the top of, I couldn't help but be reminded of the wonder this little one possesses.  She wondered what was at the top, she wondered why I wasn't playing in the fountain (she kept looking at me and pointing for me to come splash along with her - which I ended up obliging), she wondered how wet she could get before I made her stop.  Her eyes exploded with the wonder.

As I watched and splashed with her I noticed the new light-post which has been placed in our church courtyard.  It's the Narnia lamppost.  Or at least it reminds of the the Narnia lamppost.  Upon glancing at the lamp-post God brought to mind something I had read the previous night in my A Year with Aslan book.  

The exert spoke of the Beavers announcing to the Pevensie children that Aslan is on the move.  Though none of the children have heard of Aslan something quite interesting stirs within each of them.  Wonder at the sound of his name.

"Perhaps it has soemtimes happeneded to you in a dream that someone says something which  you don't understand but in the dream it feels as if it had some enormous meaning - either a terrifying one which turns the whole dream into a nightmare or else a lovely meaning too lovely to put into words, which makes the dream so beautiful that you remember it al your life and are always wishing you could get into that dream again.  It was like that now.  At the name of Aslan each one of the children felt something jump inside.  Edmund felt a sensation of mysterious horror.  Perter felt suddenly brave and adventurous.  Susan felt as if some delicious smell or some delightful strain of music had just floated by her.  And Lucy  got the feeling you have when you wake up in the morning and realize that is is the beginning of the holidays or the beginning of summer." (The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis)

Does hearing the name of Jesus produce that kind of wonder.  Do my eyes light up when His name is spoken? Do I find wonder joy and pleasure at the just the mention of His name? 

I'm thankful for the reminder of wonder.  The wonder of Christ.  The wonder and excitement at hearing His name.


1 comment:

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS