Pages

Twenty-Seven

December 3, 2010



As a little girl I dreamed of being a princess.  This dream isn't an unusual one - most little girls dream of being a princess.  Maybe it's the influence of Disney in our lives but regardless I firmly believed as a young child I could and would be a princess when I grew up.  I spent hours playing "Pretty Pretty Princess" always vying for the crown.  When I was four I dressed up as a princess of Halloween.  I secretly dreamed my prince charming would show up at my front door riding a white stallion.

As most girls will tell you eventually the dream of being a princess begins to fade and soon all that is is left is a distant memory.  Maybe it was the realization that life doesn't alway produce the happily-ever-after or that prince charmings tend to be few and far between.  Maybe it was the realization that world's definition of beauty is a mold no one can fully attain.  Whatever it was eventually I lost sight of the dream of being a princess.

But tonight I'm thankful for the reminder that I am a princess.

Tonight I spent the evening with a precious little girl named, Olivia.  I had taken her to get pizza for dinner and on the ride back I asked, "Olivia, what do you want for Christmas?"

"Hmm...Princess things!!"

"Are you a princess, Olivia?"

"No, but tomorrow I will be! You're a princess!"

This short conversation with a sweet 3-year-old (see I'm telling you conversations with kids can change your life :D) got me thinking of how I am princess.  I'm not a princess as defined by Disney movies (though if I get to pick I'd like to be the Little Mermaid haha).  I'm not a princess as defined by the world's standards.

I'm a princess as defined by God's standards.

What does God's princess look like? Well, she's beautiful.  Psalm 45:11 says, "The King is enthralled by your beauty." God calls each of His princesses beautiful...just the way they are!  His princesses are masterpieces and there is no flaw in them :)

And God's princess has already found her prince...He's the Prince of the Peace.  God's princess knows that no other prince compares.  God may or may not have a husband in her future, but regardless His princess' heart is captivated by her Lover and He is her first and true love.  She doesn't have to seek out a perfect prince in a man because even as godly of man he may be, he's still a man.  This allows her to love the man God brings into her life as just a man and not make him fill a role he wasn't meant to fill.  God is the one who completes her.  "Do not put your trust in princes, in human beings, who cannot save...Blessed are those whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord their God." Psalm 146: 3&5

I needed this reminder today and I am thankful that it came from a little girl who still believes she is a princess (well she'll be one tomorrow haha) and I pray that as Olivia grows up she continues to see herself as a princess...God's princess :)

"He doesn't just write a happily-ever-after for the beautiful princess who had it all, but also for the girl with a twisted tiara, who fell down, was rejected, or picked over.  In HIS kingdom, that girl gets an ever after, too."
Natalie Lloyd


"You're beautiful from head to toe, my dear love, beautiful beyond compare, absolutely flawless."
Song of Songs 4:7 
This is what God says to His princesses :D



This is not my princess halloween costume.   I got princess dress-up clothes one Christmas...and Katie, I live in FL so barefeet a common year-round occurrence even at Christmas since we don't believe in snow in FL haha (In short I had this one on the computer and used it instead of searching for one of me in my princess Halloween costume haha)

3 comments:

  1. I am thoroughly confused by your photo. You're wearing a Halloween costume. Standing next to a Christmas tree. Barefoot. I don't understand!

    I do understand being a princess of the King and I love it!

    <>< Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, so true and this so needs to be heard! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie - you make me laugh...this isn't the picture of my princess get-up at Halloween...I got dress-up clothes one Christmas and I had to try them on immediately...and remember I live in FL where we normally wear shorts, have the A/C on, and I only shoes if I absolutely have to haha...I guess I should add a caption to the picture to help ease the confusion haha

    Michael - Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS