Pages

Fifty-Five: Lessons in 2010

December 31, 2010

For the past few months I have repeatedly said to several friends and family members that I cannot wait for 2010 to end and 2011 to begin.  I can't remember a time when I wanted the New Year to come as much as I want 2011 to come.

2010 was a challenging year.  At times I choose to make it challenging because I was upset for things working out they I wanted or in the timeframe I wanted.  At times challenges arose around me that were beyond my control.  At times I was faced with new challenges.  At times old challenges which I thought had been overcome sprung back to haunt me.

2010 was hard.

2010 brought more tears than I have known in a long time.

2010 ushered in confusion.

2010 refined me.

2010 shaped me.

2010 opened my eyes to my desperate need for the Loving Father and the Redeeming Savior and the Counseling Spirit.

2010 was challenging...but challenges are not necessarily a bad thing.  The book I'm currently reading discusses challenges in a paragraph.  "A challenge is something people have the choice to face, deal with, and grow from" (Third Culture Kids 88).  Challenges bring about growth.  Challenges force us to move and make choices.  Challenges should drive us to the feet of Jesus into His loving arms.

One of my best friends told me not too long ago when I was stating for the record how ready I was for 2011 said to me that I will likely look back on 2010 see how God used this year of difficulty to transform and that I will probably be very thankful for having endured this year (this is a paraphrase of what he said).  And even now as the 2010 will soon be but a distant memory and 2011 is no longer the future but becomes the present, I can look back on this year see how God's hand moved.  I can see the lessons I needed to learn - many of which I am still learning...


  • There is power in the words, "I'm sorry."
  • When I am called to forgive, however, it is not contingent on receiving an "I'm sorry" - I must forgive and forgive.
  • I am a princess.
  • Spend time with kids...they give a better perspective on life and God.
  • Don't beat yourself up...the enemy enjoys when you're own worst enemy. And God calls us to live fully and abundantly - not in guilt.
  • Communication is key.
  • Be thankful for the people in your life and the sacrifices they make for - make sure you say thank you, too!
  • Just because the path you're traveling leads you somewhere you didn't plan to go or didn't want to stay very long doesn't mean there isn't beauty to be found there.
  • Smiles and laughter are medicine to the soul.
  • We really do become like those we spend our time with. For better or for worst.
  • Don't forget to value the friendships you have been given.
  • Good-byes don't mean forever...especially in Christ (and I'm trying to quote cheesy Michael W. Smith songs right now).
  • When place something in God's hands and leave it there...it's safe.  He is the good who can be trusted and will do more more than you could ask for or imagine.
  • He has great plans for me.  His plans, not mine. (Jeremiah 29:11)
  • It's not meant to be easy, but it will be worth it.  Because He is worth it.
  • When I am weak, then He truly is strong. (2 Corinthians 12:8-10)
  • Let go and don't dwell and/or analyze every situation. Give it all to God.
I look forward to what 2011 will bring, but I praise God for 2010 for what learnt during it, what I experienced, what made me cry, what made me laugh, what pushed me out of comfort zone, what caused me to grow, what brought me closer to Him.

Happy New Year!! May the One who is not contained by time or years flood into all areas of your life.  May His love renew you in this coming year.  And may the lessons and experiences to be had in 2011 draw us all closer to His heart.  

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose."
Romans 8:28

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS