Pages

Fifty-One

December 28, 2010

I'm thankful that on December 27, 1985  - 25 years ago today - a young couple with the intention of driving to Miami, FL to spend the New Year with his parents decided to make a pitstop at the courthouse in Morehead City, NC.  I'm thankful that some lady named Gloria was there to serve as the stand-in witness since their witness was not able to leave the Coast Guard base that morning.  I'm thankful for that couple and that they eloped 25 years ago (I'm partially thankful because it's great story where they told his parents that night but waited several months before telling hers...but then what could her say as she did come from a long line of elopers since her parents, almost all her aunts and uncles, and I'd almost bet money her grandparents, too, had eloped).

Happy 25th Anniversary Mom and Daddy!!

I have one other thankful for for today...

I'm thankful to have been able to spend an afternoon and evening with my wonderful and amazing friend, Caroline Grey!  She's in Orlando for the bowl game tomorrow where NC State will kick West Virginia's butt and since she was so close I had to drive up and see her :)  It was so great catching up and I am so blessed and encouraged by her always!  She's definitely on my list of my most favorite people in the world!

I'm so thankful to have spend time with her because well, we're friends like that! (The summer prior to my junior year of at GWU I had spend a month in Costa Rica.  I bought this cute little bracelets to give to my friends while I was there.  I gave Nikki Rice hers and she asked who the others were for.  I named off some people and then mentioned that one was for Caroline.  Nikki gave me a perplexed look and said "Oh, really? I didn't realize you and Caroline were friends like that." Apparently, Caroline and I hadn't gone public enough with our friendship the previous school year.  So we definitely made sure to declare loudly that we were in fact friends like that!)


2 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary to your parents! That's so cool that your family history involved a lot of eloping. Mine involves meeting the spouse in a bar or at a party. I feel like we both have a lot to live up to. :-)

    <>< Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Katie, what can I say we have high expectations to live up to...though I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world who is frequently and adamantly encouraged to continue the tradition of eloping by her parents haha...but I hope you're not encouraged to continue yours haha

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS