Pages

Fifty

December 26, 2010

As I read the Sunday comics I came across this one.  My mom said it reminded her of someone.  I guess it does describe my post-Christmas attitude.



I'm thankful for December 26th.

Yes, I know it's kind of an odd thing to be thankful for.  But I am truly thankful for December 26th. And not just December 26, 2010, but all December 26ths.

As a kid and admittedly even now at age 22,  the December 26th always denotes a certain sadness.  I mean the growing anticipation and magic that is felt all December long kind of evaporates into thin air at the stroke of midnight, the ringing in of the 26th.  I mean of all the days on the calendar I think I would hate to be the 26th because at least if you're an ordinary day the rest of the year you don't have to follow Christmas.  I know that the 26th is Boxing Day because my dear Welsh friends are celebrating that today and my planner says it with Canada in parentheses.  But to be honest I have no idea what Boxing Day is and I have never met someone in the US who celebrates it (guess that's why my planner has Canada in parentheses) - though some of the circulars today claimed Boxing Day sales.  So for the 26th is always the day after Christmas.  The reminder that Christmas has come and gone once again and we'll have to wait another year to celebrate again.

But wait...

The 26th is something to be thankful because for as long as I can remember (well except the years we've traveled after Christmas) the 26th has been a day of rest.  We pile so much into the Christmas season.  We try and do some much.  That by the time Christmas rolls around we're exhausted, but the 26th brought a chance to rest - physically, spiritually, and emotionally.  It was a chance to unwind and reflect. A chance to slow down and enjoy just being.  Being with loved ones.  Being with the One who loves.

And for me the 26th is the reminder that though Christmas day is over there is still reason to celebrate.  Because the Baby whose birth we celebrated yesterday life went on far past the shepherds and wise men coming to visit.  The Baby was  dedicated at the temple and declared by a prophet and prophetess to be the salvation of the world but also be a "sign that is opposed...so that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed" (Luke 2:22-35).  While still a mere babe He escaped to Egypt so He would be spared from the wrath of an evil and jealous king.  He grew up.  He had followers.  He preached mighty words - words confusing to those who heard, words opposite what you might except from the Messiah - but words meant to bring life abundant, life eternal, life with the Father.  He heals the sick.  Makes the lame to walk.  Opens the eyes of the blind.  He fellowships not with the religious leaders, but brakes bread with the prostitutes, tax-collectors, and unclean.  He walks on water and turns water into wine.  He breaks the bread and pours the wine.  He has His body broken, His crimson blood spilled out.  His chosen people chose someone else to be free and torment and murder Him upon a cross.  His body is put into another's tomb.  And 3 days later...He rose.  He came as a helpless baby and willing took up His cross and died upon it...but He rose...He ascended into heaven and He lives!  The message of hope that came down in Christmas is not contained for one day.  The 26th is the reminder that the I celebrate Him each and every day.

Though the presents are all opened and trash taken out, as we try to find room in the closets and drawers for things.  Though the tree will soon be delighted and all the ornaments unhung.   Though the Christmas music fades away.  And though we will soon put away the manger scenes...this is not the end of the celebration.  His birth is not the end.  His life.  His death.  His resurrection.  The hope He brings.  The life He transforms.  The love He gives.  The fact that He is with us.  The fact that one day will we praise Him forever in heaven.  ALL of these are reasons to celebrate!

I am thankful for the 26th and that the celebration of my Beloved continues on.

Thanks to God for this gift too wonderful for words!
2 Corinthians 9:15

1 comment:

  1. Based on that cartoon, our ideas of Christmas are the same. ;-) "Oh Holy Night" just came on and I didn't hit "skip."

    Peder Eide has this song where he asks, "Can you imagine what would happen if we lived every day like it was Christmas?"

    <>< Katie

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS