Pages

Forty-Three

December 19, 2010


Growing up in Florida seasons were always a foreign concept.  In the Sunshine State we do have four just like everywhere else, though their names are quite different - hot, hotter, hurricane, and Christmas.  We may get some cooler weather in the wintertime and we do even get freezes when occasion the temperature drops below 32 degrees.  Normally, though we know few days lower than 70 (and once it drops below 70 we all start to shiver and pull out the sweaters and long pants...and you know it's really cold when we retire the flip-flops for actual shoes and socks).  Being in North Carolina I fell in love with seasons (not cold weather mind you), but I loved the changes each few months brought.  And my favorite thing about seasons - the changing leaves of fall and spring.  I love the rich, vibrant reds, oranges, and yellows that paint the landscape in autumn.  When the trees burst forth in radiant pinks and purples it's as if God is sending those trees just for me.

This year, however, no changes in the leaves.  In Florida the leaves all stay the same color...green.  Don't get me wrong...I love the green shades all around me and I love the tropical flowers.  But I missed seeing the fall leaves all around me.  I was able to catch a few glimpses when I traveled to NC in October and November, but it wasn't quite the same.  

But the temperatures have dropped during the last few weeks.  And we have had some early frosts.  And when I walked outside into my front yard yesterday I noticed a tree.  With orangish red leaves.  



Today I took Buttons the Boston Terrier for a walk, and I found myself quite thankful for God's gift to me of a few orange and red trees :)


1 comment:

  1. I like the changing of the leaves. Although, I will admit, I take it for granted here in a state with four very distinct seasons.

    <>< Katie

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS