Pages

Thankful #10

November 16, 2010

I almost forgot today...but today I did think about things I was thankful for...

As I sit preparing to go to sleep soon I have a thought on my mind.  It's a thought, or more accurately a longing, a desire, that's been on my heart for quite some time.  But for whatever reason the desire has been more pressing at my lately.  It's not something I want to be a burden but in some ways I guess it has become just that.  It's not that is desire or longing is a bad thing, but it sometimes overwhelms me to the point that it becomes my focus and not God.  As I sat in bed earlier praying about why this desire can't happen right now, I was kind of whiney.  In so many ways I was acting like a spoiled brat.  Like God has given more than I ever deserve.  I mean He gave His ONLY Son to die for me and because of His death and resurrection I can have life - both abundantly here on earth and eternally with my Savior in heaven.  And here I acting like an overindulged child (I don't know about you but I always picture overindulged children as these pudgy little things often with ringlets - so have the fitting ringlets to go with this image haha) whiney and pleading for things to be my way.  In a since lamenting over all I have been given because I can't have this one desire me I want it.

But then the first chorus of my favorite song came to mind...

I don't know what my future holds
Or what lies beyond the horizon.
The years ahead are just out of sight
Well, I think sometimes that You hide them
So that I'll walk by faith not sight
So I'll take Your hand holding tight*

I don't know what the future holds or what lies ahead even tomorrow.  I don't know if this desire will come to be or if my Redeemer has something else in store for His glory.  This may very well something God will bring to be in His perfect timing.  But I'm realizing there are things He wants me to learn and experience prior to this desire coming to be.  But then again this desire may never be more than a desire. He may be planning something else for His good and mine.

So today I am thankful that I don't know what my future holds.  I am thankful that the Lord does hide them because that is how we learn to trust.  Remember back to when we were kids.  In times of uncertainty we always clung tighter to the hands of our protectors.  God is our Protector.  He is our Father.  Our Abba.  Our Daddy.  And wants to cling tightly to His hands as well live this life together.  He wants to not only protect us but guide us and teach us and experience this life with us.  He just wants to be with us.  If I knew what my future held, would my heart ache to know Him more?  Would I want to be held tighter in His arms?  Or would I run head into my future forgetting He was right there beside me?  Unfortunately, I think I knew my future I would probably choose the latter.  So that is why I am thankful that the future is not mine - it is God alones.

So cling tighter to hand.  Wrap your arms around His neck.  Dance with Him.  Fall in love with who He is.  Seek His face and not only His hand.  Be thankful that He does hide the future from us...it brings us closer to Him.

Grace and Peace :)


*My dear friend Michael - who I wrote about on "Thankful For #2" - shared the lyrics to this song with me several months ago and this song quickly became the most played song on my itunes.  Again just another reason I'm thankful for Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS