Pages

One Hundred

February 14, 2011

As a child Valentine's Day was day much looked forward to.  Where you picked out the little Valentines to place in each classmates' homemade Valentine mailbox (and since no one was to be left out we reach received obligatory Valentines from each member of the class).

As I grew up Valentine's Day became the sometimes painful reminder that I was missing something the world deems as vital to survive.  A romantic relationship.  It became the day the message seemed to be sent that since I was single I was somehow inadequate.  And the message provokes sadness and a twinge of bitterness (well, maybe more than a twinge).  Questioning begins - Am I good enough?  Am I pretty enough?  How can I be different? How can I change? What can I do to make sure next year's Valentine's Day doesn't bring about the same results?

Eventually the bitter fades and I learned to over it up with humor (okay, I'll admit I covered up the bitterness with humor)...like celebrating Singles' Awareness Day proudly with all of your single friends or claiming your best girl friend as your Valentine.  But a mask is simply a cover-up.  It may hide your true feelings but it never can replace them or remove.  It only hides.

Four years ago the idea of spending another Valentine's Day alone would inspired bitterness, the feelings of inadequacy, and the questions as why am I alone.  But it amazes me what happens when True Love finds you...

True Love removes the bitterness and fills you with peace.

True Love reveals how inadequate we to receive this Love...but True Love abundantly supplies you and overwhelms you with this Love.

True Love fulfills.

True Love calls you beautiful.

True Love gave up itself, gave up all glamor and riches so you could live.

A favorite song of mine is "O Love That Will Not Let Me Go" (Second most played on my iTunes).  True Love does not ever let you go.  You can run from it, but True Love will pursue.  You can push it away, but True Love never leaves you.

True Love has brought me to a point where being single bother me like it once did.  I still hope to meet my husband one day and have a family and serve the Lord together.  But I know True Love knows better.  I know True Love has perfect timing.  I know True Love has never ever let me down and will not ever let me down.

In True Love I hope.  In True Love I'm freed.  In True Love I have life.  In True Love I dance.

True Love awaits you...dare to be romanced...

The Lord you God is in your midst, 
a mighty One who will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness;
He will quiet you with His love;
He will exult over you with loud singing.
Zephaniah 3:17

Oh random Valentine's Day fact...Valentine of Rome is the patron saint of engaged couples, beekeepers, happy marriages, lovers, travelers, young people, and greetings...keep this in mind and wonder how else you could celebrate Valentine's Day :) (And next year I'm definitely giving people honey on Valentine's Day instead of chocolate or those yucky little message Valentine's hearts).

And if you're in a Valentine's Blog reading mood...Rea ...Katie...Michael (apparently we all had the same ideas or maybe they inspired me since they all wrote theirs first :D)

2 comments:

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS