Pages

Spanish Consulate Adventures

October 20, 2010




So I'm about a week overdue in sharing my consulate adventures...I've debated a lot this past week on how to share this adventures as to whether I should just give a narrative of what happened or if I should simply list some of the lessons I learned and how I learned them through this experience.

Hmmm...I'm thinking the list of lessons and how I learned them will serve best for today...


  1. Never - I repeat never - go to a consulate when you have had less than four hours of sleep.  I really did have intentions of getting to bed earlier.  But for whatever reason I didn't get to bed until after 11 - probably closer to 11:30.  And then I laid in bed trying to fall asleep for at least an hour.  And then I kept waking up afraid I was going to miss my 4:30 alarm.  Not enough of sleep and a little too much stress did not help in any way.  So go to bed early, you'll be thankful you did.  (Along with this eat a good breakfast that morning - you'll also be thankful for that.)
  2. I now understand why my dad left for work so early when I was young!  Rush hour traffic in Miami is absolutely ridiculous.  I think I've driven in 3rd world countries where I felt safer. (I say all of this out of love for being from Miami - from being the essential word in that sentence haha)
  3. Sometimes the third time is not the charm.  Each time I was called up by the lady at the window I kept hoping that would be the time I would have everything correct.  And the third I was relying on the saying...but as it turned out the fourth time up to the window was the charm.
  4. God always provides for our needs.  I had the wrong background in my picture...third floor had an office where they made passport pictures using the appropriate background color and I had exactly $15 in my wallet to cover the cost.  I didn't have my papers in the correct order...the amazing man in the front helped put everything in the correct order.  I didn't have the additional unknown fee...there was an atm on the ground floor.  I didn't understand what the additional form I was being asked to fill out said...the amazing man pulled out someone else's and let me use it as a guide as long as I promised to return it before I left.  I needed another paper translated...the same office on the third floor offered a translating service. 
  5. Patience is essential.  I didn't learn this because I was patient - no I was frustrated and visibly a little upset.  No, I learned this because the people at the consulate were the most patient people I have ever met.  The amazing man at the front used his own time to help me in every way possible from organizing my papers to just simply encouraging me.  The lady at the window taking my papers never got upset when I didn't know how to respond to her or got at confused at what she was asking me.  They didn't kick me out when it was going to take an hour past closing to get my document translated.  It reminded me of inpatient I am with people or situations.  It reminded me of how I need to be gracious to others.  The consulate was so patient with me when they didn't have to be.  And God is so patient with me when He doesn't have to be.  
  6. Don't lose faith.  I got really discouraged at the consulate because I was so afraid it wasn't going to all come together...but it did!  God was so faithful to me when I was so faithless.  The amazing man told me when I returned with my translated document, "See! Never lose faith in God."  God provided over and over during my visit.  He never left me and worked it all out! I think my verse for 2010 is Proverbs 3:5-6, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight."  I leaned way to much on my own understanding during this appointment but God showed me He is faithful to meet the needs of those who have been called by Him.  
  7. Smile. I often cry when I get stressed, so as hard I tried not to I did tear up a little.  As I left with everything worked out and turned it correctly, the amazing man at the front said to me, "Always smile, never cry."  The joy of the Lord really is our strength!  
So God is faithful and I believe He will be faithful in getting a visa in my hand in His perfect timing.  I'm  excited for what lays ahead but for today I want to be faithful in what He's given me in Lake Placid.  

Please continue to pray for God to prepare my heart to serve and please pray for my dad and his continued healing!

And remember He who brings smiles and laughter will be faithful when challenges seem unending.  Even in times of faithlessness He is faithful...for He cannot deny Himself!

Grace and Peace :)

2 comments:

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS