Pages

The goodbyes...

April 15, 2013

A song aired on the radio a few years back containing the line, "She hates the sound that goodbyes make." The first time it hit me how much I hated the words goodbye was after the summer of 2009.  I left Wales with tears in my eyes and the longing to return. But the reality was I had a want and wants don't always come to be. I wanted to return. In all honesty, the moment I left I pined to return and live there. Leaving left me with only the unknown and the fact that I had to trust God to open up the door.

I didn't like the goodbyes graduating from GWU brought about, nor did like the sound of them as I bid farewell to parents at the airport bound for Spain. Each goodbye has always brought about new hellos, and for those I'm thankful. But it doesn't fully remove the pain of saying goodbye.

My goodbye to Spain is just 11 weeks away. My true goodbye to ECA is actually only 9 weeks away. My heart aches at the thought.

"I'm ready!"part me proclaims. But the fact remains the over half just as loudly proclaims, "No...No, I'm not!"Goodbye to friends and students hurt as I know after June 7th we will all be scattered around the world. Goodbye to Spain knowing that even if I visit again it won't be the same as living here.

I don't think goodbyes get easier...but maybe they do. I dread them just as much each time. And looking to the future knowing there will be a lot more goodbyes, the easy option is to be sad or even discouraged.

But my hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness. I may say goodbye to places and people. I might move to new lands and make new friends. There will be times of joy and tears as goodbyes and new beginning go hand-in-hand. But one thing remains constant. My hope is built on the One who does not change. It is built on the One who does not leave nor forsake.  Every friend or family member will likely hear the words, "Goodbye," come from my lips. But never will have to say those words to Jesus. He left heaven, died, rose again so that in Him I never have to tell him goodbye. May that be my comfort and my peace today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS